Projekter pr. år
Dr. Troels Degn Johansson is an Associate Professor at the Royal Danish Academy, Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation, School of Design. Since 2019 he has been the Head of Academy at the HDK-Valand: Academy of Art and Design at the University of Gothenburg. During 2013-17 he served as Head of the Institute of Product Design (2017-2018 with an extended managerial responsibility for KADK Bornholm), during 2009-14 as Head of Research and Head of the Centre for Theory and Method at the Danish Design School, and during 2006-2009 as Head of the Board of Studies ("Studienævnet") of the institution's graduate and post-graduate programme in design. As such he has had a leading role in the school's implementation of most recent national and European reforms in higher education. He had a leading role in the development of the Danish Design School's design research environment as well as in the Danish Centre for Design Research and its Master in Design programme. He directed the IT-University of Copenhagen's highly successful post-graduate programme in Design, Communication, and Media (2001-04) and took part in the establishment of the ITU's computer games research group, the joint national post-graduate programme in computer games (DADIU), as well as the early development of the IT-University in general. He was elected President of the Nordic Summer University (1999-2000) and has actively taken part in the development of this Nordic interdisciplinary research network since 1993.
Dr. Johansson earned his PhD degree in landscape architecture at the University of Copenhagen in association with the Danish Forest and Landscape Research Institute, Ministry of Environment and Masters degrees in film and media studies and post-structuralist philosophy at the University of Kent at Canterbury and University of Copenhagen.
Dr. Johansson's main field of research is the historical and contemporary relation between design, crafts, and fine art with reference to industrialisation and the post-industrial society. Since 1999 he has been collaborating continuously with art collective Superflex, that is, as a project partner, curator, and commentator. During 2004 he hosted Superflex as artists in residence at the IT University of Copenhagen, where the collective, along with my students, developed the open source beer brand, "Vores Øl", later to be re-branded as Free Beer (http://www.free-beer.org/). Another focus in Dr. Johansson's research is the use of pictorial material in design processes; a direction in his research which sets off on his contribution to pictorial semiotics and his PhD project on visualisation of change in landscape and urban space (Landscapes of Comunication, Copenhagen 2003). In 1990, he published the first book on Danish director Lars von Trier. He has published widely on pictorial representation, new media, semiotics, aesthetics, design, and fine art in internationally recognized scholarly and artistic media.
2005-: Associate Professor, Centre for Design Research/The Danish Design School. Head of the Board of Studies 2006-09. An elected member of the School Council 2008-09.
2001-04: Assistant Professor, subsequently Associate Professor and Head of the post-graduate programme in Design, Communication, and Media (2002-2004) at the IT-University of Copenhagen, Department of Digital Aesthetics and Communication (DiAC). Cofounder of the Centre for Computer Research Copenhagen.
1998-2000: Ph.D. Scholar at the Danish Forest and Landscape Research Institute, Department of Urban and Landscape Planning, University of Copenhagen.
1995-98: External Lecturer at the University of Copenhagen, Department of Film & Media Studies.
2019-: Head of Academy at HDK-Valand: The Academy of Art and Design, University of Gothenburg (2019 as Head of the Valand Academy; schools of film, photography, fine art, and literary composition); app. 230 staff, 800 students, programmes on BFA, MA, and PhD level.
2013-17: Head of Institute of Product Design at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation (with an extended managerial responsibility for KADK Bornholm 207-18); app. 35 staff, 220 students, programmes on BFA, MA, and PhD level.
2009-13: Head of Research and Head of the Centre for Theory and Method, The Danish Design School, subsequently the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation.
2002-04: Head of the post-graduate program in Design, Communication, and Media, IT University of Copenhagen (app. 80-120 new students registered every year, managerial reference to app. 15 part time staff members).
1999-2000: President of the Nordic Summer University (responsible for the research network's annual budget of app. DKK 2 mio. 1 Nordic conference and 9 Nordic seminars/year, 3 publications/year, 1 full-time secretary and a number of volunteers).
1998-2000: Ph.D., Danish Forest and Landscape Research Institute, Ministry of Environment and the Department of Urban and Landscape Planning, University of Copenhagen.
1992-94: MA (cand.mag.) in Film and Media Studies, University of Copenhagen.
1991-92: MA in Psychoanalytic Studies in the Humanities, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK.
1987-90: BA in Film and Media Studies, University, University of Copenhagen
International Research Visits
2018: Visiting Professor at the School of Design, Hong Kong Polytechnical University (Autumn Term).
2009-10: Visiting Professor at the School of Design, Aalto University, Helsinki (Autumn Term).
2006: Visiting Professor at the Media Lab, Aatlo University, Helsinki (Autumn Term).
1999: Visiting Researcher at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, University College London (Autumn Term).
Advisory Boards, Steering Committees, etc.
2020-: Member of the Steering Committee for AgeCap/Centre for Ageing and Health Gothenburg University.
2020-: Member of the Steering Committee for Centre för Tourism, University of Gothenburg.
2015-19: Member of the Design Discipline Advisory Board, Hong Kong Design Institute.
2008-09: An elected member of the School Council ("Skolerådet") at the Danish Design School for the period 2008-10
2007-: A member of the Board of the Danish Doctoral Schools in Architecture and Design (DKAD).
2005-2007: A member of the Steering Committee of the Master in Design at the Centre for Design Research (development of concept and curriculum for the program)
2006-09: Head of the Board of Studies at the Danish Design School (leading the implementation of module based studies in the curriculum, 2008; the revised national qualification framework, 2008; the new national grading system/"7-step scale", 2007; a quality development program based on the European Network of Quality Assessment, 2006.
2005-09: Appointed a representative of the Board of Studies at the Danish Design School.
2002-2004: A member of the Board of Studies at the IT University of Copenhagen (serving as Head of Studies of the post-graduate program in Design, Communication, and Media)
1998-2000: Danish Forest and Landscape Research Institute's Board of Communication, Ministry of Energy and the Environment.
1999-2000: Elected as a President of the Nordic Summer University.
1995-2000: Elected as a national representative of the Steering Committee of the Nordic Summer University; the Nordic Council of Minister's interdisciplinary research network
- Associate Editor of Artifact (ISSN: 1749-3463, Routledge)
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Design Research Society's Design Research Quarterly (ISSN: 1752-8445)
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Signs: International Journal of Semiotics (ISSN: 1902-8822, Royal School of Library and Information Science, Denmark)
- Member of the Editorial Board of The Fibreculture Journal (ISSN: 1449 - 1443, Open University Press, Australia)
Advisory Boards/Peer Reviewer:
- A member of the advisory boards of the following, selected international conferences: Digital Art and Culture (DAC), Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR), International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS), International Association of the Societies of Design Research (IASDR), Computers in Arts and Design Education (CADE), European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA), International Conference on the Philosophy of Computer Games.
- An appointed member of the Scientific evaluation panel for NordForsk's Researcher Networks and Research Training Courses (since 2009; http://www.nordforsk.org)
- An appointed member of various external evaluation committees established by the Danish Evaluation Institute in connection with the accreditation of higher education programs in the Denmark (since 2008; http://www.english.eva.dk)
- Appointed as member of the assessment committee for +30 senior positions at the University of Aalborg, University of Aarhus, University of Copenhagen, Roskiilde University, KADK/the Danish Design School, Malmö University, and Linneaus University (since 2005).
- Appointed as an opponent for app. 10 Ph.D. defences at the University of Aarhus, University of Copenhagen, Roskiilde University, and KADK the Danish Design School.
- Appointed as a certified external examiner in the Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation's national boards of examinators in Architecture and Design, Engineering Sciences, Art History, and Information Studies and Interactive Media.
Lektor, IT Universitetet i København1 aug. 2004 → 31 dec. 2004
Adjunkt, IT Universitetet i København1 aug. 2001 → 31 jul. 2004
Ph.d.-studerende, Københavns Universitet1 jan. 1998 → 31 dec. 2000
Ekstern lektor, Københavns Universitet1 aug. 1995 → 30 jun. 1998
- Grafiske og visuelle medier
- visuel kommunikation
- Historie og kultur
- visuel kultur
- Historiske og nutidige avantgardebevægelser i design
- Kunsthåndværkets teori og historie
- visuel kommunikation
- visualisering and landscape planning
- Møbel- og rumdesign
- Interaktive rum
- hjemlighed og nomadisme
- Teknologi og digital design
- 3D Bygningsmodellering
- it i alting
- digital kunst
- digital aesthetics
- Billeder i designprocesser
- Udvikling af steder gennem design og hverdagspraksis
- Teori og filosofi
- Oplevelse og æstetik
- Teori & praksis
- Æstetik og form
- film + arkitektur
- relationel æstetik
- æstetisk interaktion
- æstetisk teori
- Arkitekturens fænomenologi
- visualisation and landscape planning
- Visualisering og byplanlægning
01/09/2009 → …
Projekter: Projekt › Forskning
”Foreigners, Please Don’t Leave Us alone with the Danes": Immigration and National Identity in SuperflexJohansson, T. D., 6 sep. 2018.
Publikation: Konferencebidrag › Paper › Forskning › peer review
Johansson, T. D., 30 nov. 2017. 1 s.
Publikation: Konferencebidrag › Konferenceabstrakt til konference › Forskning › peer reviewÅben adgangFil152 Downloads (Pure)
Degn Johansson, T., 10 apr. 2016.
Publikation: Konferencebidrag › Paper › Forskning